Recreational opportunities abound in Groton.
Our location in southeastern Connecticut, on the shores of Fishers Island Sound, provides beaches for swimming, sunbathing, volley ball and music concerts. Groton’s sea-side location is ideal for sport fishing, boating, diving, sailing and kayaking.
If golf is your game, our world class Shennecossett Municipal Golf Course is for you. We also have a number of municipal tennis courts.
On land we have numerous trails and terrain for hiking and acres of open space. Visit Groton's Parks and Forestry page to find places in Groton for your favorite recreational activity, including Groton Skate Park as well as "Central Bark", an environment dedicated to the recreation of man's best friend.
For collegiate baseball fans, Groton is the home of the Mystic Schooners, a team in the New England Collegiate Baseball League. They play at the Fitch High School ballfield on summer evenings in June and July.
There are also three Connecticut State Parks within Groton:
- Bluff Point State Park and Coastal Reserve offers a delightful mixture of wooded hiking and biking trails coupled with spectacular wildlife viewing on Long Island Sound.
- Haley Farm State Park is preserved open space available for passive recreation. A popular spot for trail biking, 0.8-mile long trail winds its way through the scenic old shoreline farm.
- Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park is the historic site, where, on September 6, 1781, British forces, commanded by the infamous Benedict Arnold, captured the Fort and massacred 88 of the 165 defenders stationed there.
For other things to do, see Arts, Dining & Attractions.
New to the Groton Area?
Did You Know...?
Fearless Flyers Academy, New England’s only trapeze training facility is located in Groton and open to the public.
- Town of Groton Parks & Recreation
- City of Groton Parks & Recreation
- Bluff Point State Park
- Haley Farm State Park
Open Space & Sports
- Parks and Forestry
- Coastal Public Access Map
- Fort Griswold State Park
- Mystic Schooners Baseball
- UCONN Avery Point Baseball
- Shennecossett Golf Course
- Fields of Fire Aerial Adventure Park
- Fearless Flyers Academy
- Mountain Biking – Haley Farm State Park
- Paddle Board, Kayak and Bike Rentals – Adventure Mystic (Stonington)
Summer Outdoor Concert Series